Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

When kids ask the darndest questions...


One lazy summer afternoon I was curling up in bed with one of my fave mags Good Housekeeping when my little girl marched into our room with these questions:

How are babies made?

What is a virgin?

I know this moment would come when my kid would ask me "those" kinds of questions. However, it came when I least expected it!

For seconds I was caught offguard; my mind was racing with my hearbeat pulsating rapidly as I pondered for an answer. As a mother, I felt this was one delicate matter I had to handle. Standing in front of me was a six-year-old girl whose innocent eyes begged for an answer. And she was no Scarlett O’Hara that Rhett Butler’s my-dear-I-don’t-give-a-damn remark would be enough to suffice her.

After what seemed like an eternity of contemplating, I straightened my torso (to exhibit confidence and authority) and answer in the most casual tone and manner I could muster:

Babies are made when a sperm cell and an egg cell met and fertilized.

A virgin is someone who has not engaged in sex(ual act).


Then I asked: Do you understand what fertilized and sex mean?

Nooooo
was her quick answer.

Indeed, she might not have understood a thing of what i had given her for an answer but at least, it was science-based. And I believe it was the truest, the most correct, the most precise answer. Though incomprehensible for her, yet it was an answer that would not certainly confuse her especially someday when her future science class discusses the topic.

So I told her, "Okay, I’ll explain that to you when you’re old enough to understand…."

With sealed lips, she nodded in agreement…

…and there ended our Q&A session….

No further questions asked, Bill Cosby!

No comments:

Post a Comment