Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Color blind, color deaf...

(06/03/07)



Poor me! I must have been color blind and color deaf lately. My six year old daughter made me realize this.

Days ago I was flipping through the pages of her notebook when my attention was caught by her drawing of a two-storey car with rays around on some of its parts. Curiosity got in me so I asked her to explain it to me. It was two-storey daw because there were many children inside it and that the rays around were lights so that they could see where they were going. Hmmm…sounds logical enough.

And the last question I asked: “What’s the color of the car?”

She quickly answered, “Cerulean!”

“A what?”

“Cerulean! That’s my favorite color!”

Obviously, I haven’t seen such color nor heard of it (and this makes me sort of color blind and color deaf ). So I asked my daughter if she had that color/crayon and she gladly showed, and even read, it to me.

Poor me!

Well, well, back to my crayon days in the 80’s, the most “sophisticated” colors then were simply flesh, fuchsia, etc., and no CERULEAN yet. And when I went to high school I’ve got to thank my creative writing teacher Ma’am Methusellah Santamaria for introducing me to sardonic, scarlet, bismuth, ebony, and ivory ….(but not to CERULEAN).

Also when I went to college the most colorful color I met was vermillion, and never the shadow of CERULEAN.

And sssshhhh…. not a single color was ever tackled in my graduate and post graduate studies…!

Anyway, CERULEAN is deep blue lang naman pala according to Mr. Oxford.

Hay naku, I guess I need to add more colors to my days. I don’t wish to be color blind and color deaf for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Me, too. Sometimes I see the world in black and white and they're not even colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for remembering me and my lesson.Nakakataba ng puso.The greatest reward that teachers get is to see their students learn, and become the best that they could be. I am proud of you Chary Lou and happy to know that I have contributed to your love for teaching and writing. To be honest, it's only now that I heard about cerulean color.See,we can learn from anybody. Good luck and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete